|Old Commando Headquarters|
|Places in Singapore - Changi Point|
|Written by Singapore Guide|
The Old Commando Headquarters is a grand two-storey Neo-Classical colonial building with colonnaded arch-shaped verandahs and distinctive fluted Doric columns was formerly the Royal Engineers' Command Building. Built in 1935 by the British as part of a naval and air base to protect the eastern front to the Johor Straits from any Japanese attack from the sea during the Second World War.
Located on top of Fairy Point Hill, the Old Commando Headquarters stands out as a landmark in the area, and has a commanding view over the Serangoon Harbour and Johor Straits.
After the British left Singapore in the 1970s, the Old Commando Headquarters building was used as a retreat venue for private corporations before the Ministry of defence (MINDEF) resumed the military use of the building as the Commando Headquarters until it was vacated.
The Old Commando Headquarters today awaits a new owner to give it a new lease of life as a recreation club, holiday chalet or hotel.